Features Comparison Table of the Best Self-Sharpening Knife Sets in the World
Click on Image to Check Price
Click on Name to Jump on My Review
German High-Carbon Steel
High-Carbon German Steel
Japanese High-Carbon Steel
High-Carbon German Steel
Reviews of the Best Self Sharpening Knife Set
1. Calphalon Classic 15-Piece Precision-Forged High Carbon Stainless Steel Knives – Top Self-Sharpening Knife Set
15-Pc Calphalon knife set includes – 8″ chef’s knife, 6″ utility knife, 6″ serrated utility knife, 4.5″ paring knife, 7″ santoku knife, eight 5″ serrated steak knives, one kitchen shears, self-sharpening blonde rubberwood knife block.
All the knives of this set are made of precision-forged high carbon stainless steel. Though eight steak knives crafted from stamped steel. Let me inform you that forged steel blades are much better than stamped steel. Due to precision-forged, the strength and hardness of steel increase significantly which helps to sharpen the blade faster and maintain that sharpness for a long time.
From my personal experience, I can say that Calphalon’s steel is much more corrosion resistant than other company’s high carbon steel which also prevents the blades from discoloration.
The heavy-duty triple-riveted handles have a full tang design for strength and balance. The poly-resin material is used for the handle scales which provide comfort and a firm pinch grip. Ergonomically contoured decent-sized handles fit well in all sizes hand.
They need to be hand-washed and dried immediately after each use. Never put in the dishwasher otherwise the knife may rust.
The same model is also available in 6-Pc and 12-Pc sets.
- Non-staining high carbon steel blades
- Handles are very well made and easy to hold
- For easy identification, knives are labeled
- All knives are full tang
- Forged bolster & end cap for counterbalance and finger safety
- Self-sharpening knife block, only for straight-edged knives
- High quality set at a very affordable price
- Buy with confidence because there is a full lifetime warranty
- Not dishwasher safe
- The bread knife is not included in this set but you can use the serrated utility knife to cut the bread. You can also buy a bread knife separately because there is an open slot for it in the block.
2. J.A. Henckels International 20-Piece German Forged Stainless Steel Self-Sharpening Knife Set with Block
20-Pc Henckels knife set includes – 8″ chef’s knife, 5.5″ boning knife, 8″ bread knife, 3″ paring knife, 4″ paring knife, 6″ utility knife, 5″ serrated utility knife, 5.5″ prep knife, 7″ hollow edge santoku knife, 8″ carving knife, eight 4.5″ forged serrated steak knives, one kitchen shears, and 19-slot wood block with built-in self-sharpener.
Each blade of this set is made out of high-quality German forged stainless steel and coated with a durable satin finish. This type of high-grade steel is very famous in the medical industry because it has very high satin and rust resistance and the ability to hold sharp edges for a long time.
Luxurious-looking handles are constructed from stainless steel which is hollow and lightweight. The handles have a fingerprint-proof sandblasted texture that gives a very secure grip as well as being nicely polished.
In addition, fully forged shining bolster and logo-embossed end-cap construction increase the durability of the knife as well as maintain the balance between the handle and the blade.
The best part is, the built-in ceramic sharp rods in each slot are set at an appropriate angle, so they will sharpen fine-edge knives every time you move a knife from the block.
Although the set is dishwasher-safe, Henckels suggests that all knives should be hand-washed and dried right away after every use.
The all-around functional set includes everything you need on a daily basis from chopping vegetables to slicing meat and easily cut crusty bread and delicate items like tomatoes, includes a nimble paring knife to peel and core fruits.
The same model is also available 14-Piece Knife Block Set
- All-in-one complete kitchen knife set
- Rustproof German stainless steel blades
- The set is dishwasher safe
- Well-balanced and stylish stainless steel handles
- Luxurious walnut finish woodblock with a stainless steel face
- Built-in ceramic self-sharpening system knife block
- All slots are labeled for easy identification
- Limited lifetime warranty to back up the product
- Re-sharpening is relatively a bit difficult and time-consuming
- The block is a bit large so there may be some problems with limited counter space
3. Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 18-Piece Forged High Carbon Stainless Steel In-Block Sharpener Kitchen Knife Set
18-Pc Chicago Cutlery knife set includes – 8″ chef’s knife, 7″ Santoku knife, 7″ serrated bread knife, 5″ boning knife, 5.5″ utility knife, 8″ slicer knife, two (3″ and 3.5″) parer knife, and eight 4.5″ forged non-serrated steak knives, one kitchen shears and wooden block with built-in self-sharpener.
The blades of the Chicago Cutlery are made of forged high-carbon stainless steel and sharpened 13 degrees on both sides of the blade. The blades are a bit heavy compared to other sets of knives. The hardness of the blades is also very good because even after two months of regular use, their sharpness does not seem to have changed much.
The triple-riveted handle comes with ergonomic polymer scales for a comfortable and secure grip. The quality of the handles is extremely durable. Slightly curved square handles are not slippery, are easy to grasp, and feel solid enough when I hold them.
The forged bolsters and full-tang knife feel balanced in your hand, which allows for increased force leveraged through the handle against the resistance of material being cut by the blade, this is good when you are cutting harder materials.
Built-in ceramic sharpeners will do a great job of recovering plain edge knives whenever you use them from the block. The block consists of wood and is really easy to take care of, its quality is very durable.
The manufacturer recommends only hand washing to clean products and prohibits the use of built-in sharpeners for serrated knives.
- Forged high-carbon stainless-steel hefty blade
- The knives are quite sharp out of the box
- Every blade balances perfectly when you grip them with two fingers at the bolster
- The super-strong triple-riveted full-tang handle
- The set comes with high quality, built-in sharpener
- An 18-Piece set is immensely valuable for the money
- To back up the product the company provides a limited lifetime warranty
- The set is not dishwasher safe
- The steak knife slots are not milled to precision
4. Calphalon Classic 15-Piece Forged High Carbon Stainless Steel Self-Sharpening Knife Block Set
15-Pc Calphalon knife set includes – 8″ chef’s knife, 6″ utility knife, 3.5″ paring knife, 7″ santoku knife, 8″ bread knife, eight 5″ half-serrated steak knives, one kitchen shears, integrated self-sharpening system, and gray color woodblock.
Blades are manufactured from top-notch high-carbon stainless steel; stamped steel has only been used for steak knives. Furthermore, the knives are precisely forged by the most skilled craftsmen so that they can be easily sharpened and not dull quickly.
The handle is also crafted from stainless steel which is hollow, not solid. The handle is designed for lightweight, contoured for better grip, and reduces hand fatigue during long-term use.
The main point is, the Calphalon Classic Set has a built-in self-sharpening system that will automatically sharpen non-serrated edge knives whenever you use them from the block.
During maintenance, just use hand wash and dry them quickly with a towel.
- Luxurious with modern style and design
- Full tang design for solid construction
- For easy identification, handles are labeled
- Forged bolster & end cap for counterbalance
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Not dishwasher safe
- HC steel needs regular maintenance
5. HENCKELS J.A. International Graphite 20-Piece German Stainless Steel Self-Sharpening Cutlery Block Set
HENCKELS 20-Pc knife set includes – 8″ chef’s knife, 7″ santoku knife, 8″ bread knife, 6″ utility knife, 5″ serrated utility knife, 3″ paring knife, 4″ paring knife, 5.5″ prep knife, 5.5″ boning knife, 8″ carving knife, eight 4.5″ steak knives, kitchen shears, and self-sharpening knife block.
The blades are fully forged from high-quality German stainless steel which resists corrosion and is easy to take care of. In terms of durability and edge retention, German knives are the best choice.
The fine-edge blades are satin-finished and carefully honed for long-lasting sharpness to provide clean cuts. If the serrated steak knives are properly used their sharpness will remain intact year after year and you will never need to sharpen them.
With a coherent adaptation from the blade to handle, the HENCKELS set has a fully forged construction and provides balance while their ergonomically contoured stainless steel handle encourages tireless cutting. The handles are effortlessly to take care of and very comfortable to hold.
The block has a very satisfying feature which is self-sharpening slots that automatically sharpen the plain edge blades every time a knife is being replaced or removed. The sharpeners are located in every single slot of the long knives, which makes cooking really easy as you can constantly rely on your knives being sharpened.
Although the set is dishwasher-safe, manufacturers recommend hand washing with warm water and mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
The same model is also available with a 14-piece set at a slightly reduced price.
- Multipurpose set includes the whole thing you want
- Stain and rust-proof premium grade German stainless steel blades
- The stainless steel handles are lightweight and give a comfortable grip
- The full tang knives have excellent balance and control while cutting
- Convenient built-in ceramic sharpening tool in the block
- Knives are easy to care of because they are safe for the dishwasher
- The block has labeled slots for proper placement and quick organizing
- HENCKELS provides a limited lifetime warranty to support the product
- Large size set, so not good for a small size kitchen or space
6. McCook MC29 15-Piece German High Carbon Stainless Steel Self-Sharpening Knife Set with Block
15-Pc McCook knife set includes – 5″ santoku knife, 8″ chef knife, 8″ slicing knife, 3.5″ paring knife, 5.5″ serrated utility knife, 5″ utility knife, six 4.5″ serrated steak knives, 2 pairs of kitchen shears, and self-sharpening hardwood knife block.
These knives are composed of a single piece of top-quality German high carbon stainless steel. The blades have a very nice shiny coating that also increases stain and rust resistance. The blades are sharpened with exclusive taper grind edge technology that provides the best sharpness for precise cutting and is also easy to re-sharpen as it is made of carbon steel.
Wonderfully designed handles are fabricated from German stainless steel. The handles are hollow, lightweight, and very easy to handle. The blade and handle are just one piece of steel, so there is no chance of it breaking or leaking water inside.
The craftsmanship of the knives is very good because the balance has been skillfully adjusted so that they can be used without fatigue for a long time.
In my blog, there is no other one with such a good quality 15-piece knife set at such a low price.
Finally, the block is crafted with a built-in self-sharpening system only for sharpening straight-edge blades.
If you want many, many years of service then hand wash and towel dry them immediately after use. Never wash them in the dishwasher.
- High quality German high carbon stainless steel blades
- Handle feels sturdy and solid in the hand
- Built-in self-sharpening knife block
- A decent quality set at a very cheap price
- The knife set and block is easy to clean
- It comes with a 45-day return policy for a fully refundable warranty
- No bread knife
- The handles are a little slippery
- The set is not dishwasher safe
7. Calphalon Contemporary 20-Piece High-Carbon German Stainless Steel Self-Sharpening Kitchen Knife Set with Block
Calphalon knife set includes – 8″ chef’s knife, 7″ santoku knife, 5″ santoku knife, 8″ bread knife, 4.5″ paring knife, 5″ boning knife, 6″ carving fork, 8″ slicer, 5.5″ tomato/bagel knife, 6″ utility knife, eight semi-serrated steak knives, kitchen shears, and built-in self-sharpening maple wood block.
All the blades except the steak knives are made from a single piece of premium-quality German high-carbon stainless steel. They are fully forged including bolster and tang to ensure everlasting resilience. The steak knives are crafted from high-quality stamped Asian steel.
The versatile blades are perfect for cutting different foods items that are hard, soft, or flexible. A special feature of premium-quality German steel is that they are highly resistant to corrosion and rust. So if used with care, a set of German steel is able to give you a lifelong service.
Poly-Resin handles are ergonomically contoured for a non-slip and firm pinch grip. The handles are great because they will perfectly fit in your hand. Also, the handles’ end-cap are labeled which makes it so much easier to prepare a meal where you have to chop a lot of different things and need to identify a variety of different knives.
Something that is significant about the block is the built-in ceramic sharpener which makes one of the best sharpening materials because it is rather less abrasive than diamond sharpening steel and hence it produces fine edges that are ultra-sharp. It automatically sharpens the straight edge knives every time there being pulled from the block.
A stain-resistant or stainless steel knife can still rust. It’s recommended to hand wash only, they should not be washed in a dishwasher or left wet for long periods, it could rust if not dried immediately.
- All-in-one premium quality self-sharpening knife set with block
- The knives will stay always sharp and reliable
- Ultra-premium high-carbon German stainless steel blades
- The handles are in full-tang structure with bolster and end cap for strength and balance
- The handle feels sturdy and easy to hold
- For easy identification, the end-cap is labeled
- Luxurious maple wood block looks amazing in the kitchen
- A great lifetime warranty to back up the product
- Not dishwasher safe
- The steak knives made from stamped Asian steel, not from forged steel
- High price tag but all high-quality parts make it worth the price
8. Sabatier Edgekeeper Pro 12-Piece Forged High Carbon Stainless Steel Self-Sharpening Knife Block Set
12-Pc Sabatier knife set includes – 8″ chef knife, 5″ chef knife with kullens, 8″ slicer knife, 3.5″ paring knife, 4.5″ fine edge utility, six 4.5″ straight edge steak knives, and an Edgekeeper self-sharpening natural hardwood block.
Each blade is made using forged high carbon stainless steel and they are also good enough to prevent stain and corrosion. Although the plain edge steak knives are not forged, they are light and easy to use.
All the knives are hand-made and sharpened by skilled craftsmen for precisely cutting each time. Even though they are cheap steel, they can be sharpened quickly, but they are not capable of holding sharp edges for a long.
These full-tang knives boost triple-riveted handles which have contoured plastic scales for a secure grip and comfort. The full-length bolster, tang, and butt cap have nicely adjusted the balance, making it easier to use the knives in everyday cooking.
In addition, the block comes with built-in sharpeners in every major slot (except steak knife slots) which automatically sharpens the knives each time they are removed or replaced in the block.
Although beware, hand wash with warm water and dry immediately after using or they will rust and stain. These blades are not made for the dishwasher.
- Amazing price for the quality of the knives
- Forged high carbon stainless steel blades
- Triple-riveted handles are easy to hold and control
- All knives are crafted with full-length tang
- All primary slots have a built-in self-sharpening system
- The set is also backed by the lifetime limited warranty for your peace of mind
- The blades are relatively thin
- No bread knife and kitchen shears
- Knives are not dishwasher safe
9. Marco Almond KYA28 14-Piece Japanese High Carbon Stainless Steel Self Sharpening Cutlery Set with Block
14-Pc Marco-Almond set includes – 8″ chef knife, 5″ santoku knife, 8″ slicing knife, 5″ utility knife, 5.5″ serrated utility knife, six 4.5″ serrated steak knives, 3.5″ paring knife, kitchen shear, and black wooden block.
The blades of the set are forged from a solid single piece of Japanese high carbon stainless steel. This material won’t rust and is very durable. This kind of steel will keep the blades sharp for a long time and keep them from getting stained.
Stainless steel handles tend to produce a lustrous and reflective surface that represents sterility and cleanness. Since blade and handle are one piece you wouldn’t have to worry about them coming off or breaking. The mild curves at the front and back of the handle will ensure a good grip by keeping your hand from sliding forward or backward.
The special thing about the block is that it comes with a built-in sharpener so you won’t have to get an extra sharpener. This is very convenient if you use them day by day. Being able to rely on your knives being sharp without having to constantly waste time on sharpening them by hand is such a valuable deal.
For a longer lifespan, it is recommended to wash them by hand and dry them right after. Buy with confidence as this set is covered by a 30-day free exchange or a full refund guarantee without asking any questions.
The same model is also available with a triple-riveted ABS handle, check this out – Marco Almond KYA31
- High Carbon Japanese Steel blades at a very affordable price
- Ergonomically designed handles for good grip
- The handle is hollow to reduce the weight but has a full tang structure
- Knife weight is perfect for a good balance
- A self-sharpening system, only for non-serrated knives
- The set is good quality for the price
- 100% Satisfaction or money-back guarantee
- It is a great option to brighten up the kitchen space optically
- There is no bread knife but the serrated utility knife can be used for this task
- Knives are not dishwasher safe so it is more time consuming to wash them
10. KitchenAid KKFTR16SL 16-Piece German High Carbon 1.4028 Stainless Steel Self Sharpening Cutlery Set with Block
KitchenAid 15-Pc knife set includes – two chef knives (8″ and 6″), 8″ slicer, 8″ serrated bread knife, 7″ santoku knife, 5.5″ serrated utility, 3.5″ paring, 6-pc 4.5″ serrated steak knife set, 4″ kitchen shears, built-in sharpener, and silver-painted wooden block.
The forged blade is solid and razor-sharp, slices through anything and everything with ease. These are made of German high carbon 1.4028 stainless steel which has excellent properties resistant to corrosion and rust. The blades themselves look very polished at all times that makes for easy release of thinly sliced food which is perfect for mincing, slicing, and dicing.
Triple-riveted handles of the KitchenAid knives are crafted for durability, strength, and ease to control. The three polished rivets reinforce the perfect fit of each handle with a full tang structure, as well as ensuring a fatigue-free hold. The grip of those handles is very solid, user-friendly, and balanced.
The wooden block is stunning and solid, along with the built-in sharpener. The integrated #600 Diamond Grit sharpener allows you to sharpen your knives simply and rapidly to regularly grant to maintain their paradigmatic performance.
Although the package states that knives can be put into the dishwasher, the manufacturer recommends washing by hand and dry immediately. Please do not wash the knives in the dishwasher.
- The set includes every knife you need in your kitchen
- High-grade German steel gives the blades a razor-sharp edge with long-life durability
- The handle construction is very solid and fits perfectly with all sized hands
- Full tang and bolster of the handle ensure an ideal balance and robustness
- It has a self-sharpening feature within the block
- Knives are easy to clean and maintain
- A really good set of knives at a good price
- The set protected by the manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty
- This is not a dishwasher ok set
- Asian 3CR13 steel has been used instead of German steel for steak knives
- Amazon’s detailed description has a picture of a cleaver, but there is definitely no cleaver knife with the 16-piece set, so don’t be confused.
11. STYLED SETTINGS 7-Piece Stainless Steel Gold Knife Set with Sharpener Block
The 7-Pc beautiful Gold Knife Set includes – chef’s knife, bread knife, utility knife, carving knife, paring knife, black wooden block, and a built-in sharpener.
The blades are made out of stainless steel that has excellent hardness Rockwell scale rating 58-60 which means they stay sharp longer. Being made of stainless steel, the knives are highly resistant to rust and corrosion, so they are easy to clean and require much less maintenance. The blades are thick and sturdy, will not bend easily in any heavy chore.
The handles are brass triple-riveted to the Pakkawood. Subtle shaping handles are ergonomically engineered for non-slip grip and provide a safe feel when cutting. Each knife has a gold-colored bolster and riveted pins for gorgeous appearance and durability. The bolster has a smooth round finish – gripping and touching it with the finger is nimble and completely fatigue-free.
It is recommended by “Styled Settings” to always dry the knives after washing to keep them rust-free and sharp; the knives are better protected in the woodblock rather than in the drawer with other utensils.
The design and detail are very special and unique, which provide a modern and minimalist aesthetic with design-consciousness for everyday life.
- Premium stainless steel blades with a full-tang design
- Knives provide great toughness and corrosion resistance
- The knives are pretty sharp for a smooth cutting
- Triple-riveted full tang handle provides perfect balance, leverage, and strength
- Shining bolster to protective fingers from sharp edge
- The weight of the knife is evenly distributed for the zero balance on the finger
- The set comes with a 12 months conditional warranty
- No steak knives or kitchen shears
- The self-sharpening feature is only in the chef knife slot
Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Self Sharpening Knife Set (FAQ)
Question: What is a self-sharpening knife set?
Answer: A self-sharpening set is a knife set that comes with a built-in sharpener block so as to sharpen the knives placed into the storage slots and as well as protect them against any damage. Essentially it eliminates the need to have to sharpen the knife every time before use and assures a pristine sharpened edge every time the knife is removed from the block.
Question: Should you buy a self-sharpening knife block?
Answer: The reason you should buy a self-sharpening knife block is that the blades don’t need to be sharpened regularly, wasting your precious time. In addition, the blades will stay always sharp, so you can do all kinds of cutting work quickly and safely.
Question: Are self-sharpening knives good?
Answer: Definitely, self-sharpening knives are good because they are made with exactly the same type of steel that is used to make other good-quality knives. The quality of the knives is completely unique, it has nothing to do with whether they are self-sharpening sets or not.
Question: Do self-sharpening knives really work?
Answer: Yes, they do work but only to a certain extent. The self-sharpening knife block only sharpens the knife partially. After a certain time, the knives need to be sharpened with a whetstone.
Question: How do self-sharpening knife sets work?
Answer: The way a self-sharpening knife set works is that when you take a knife out of the block or insert it into the block, it sharpens the edge of the blade automatically. Some knife blocks have a separate sharpener in each plane edge knife slot while others have only one main sharpener slot which is used to sharpen all plain edge knives.
Question: What are the pros and cons of a self-sharpening knife set?
Answer: Below are some common pros cons of this type of knife block-
- It sharpens your knife every time before and after you use it
- Being regularly sharp, you can cut food items quickly and safely
- You don’t have to face hassles like sharpening different knives regularly
- This type of set saves you valuable time and money
- Frequent sharpening could be harmful to the sharp edge of the blade, although its effects are very minimal
- The serrated blades cannot be sharpened; although it is not much needed to do that
- Knives are partially sharpened, but after a certain time, they need to be sharpened with a whetstone
- If the knife in one slot is inserted into another slot by mistake, there is a possibility of damage to the edge
- There are some knives that do not need to be sharpened regularly, yet they have sharpened automatically and their edges are rapidly eroded